What is Student Voice at NPS?
Student voice at Nhulunbuy Primary School, is the collection of student values, opinions, beliefs and perspectives which lead to authentic contributions in decision making and instructional approaches that are based on student choices, interests, passions and ambitions. The Student Representative Council collect student voice using classroom parking lots. Each fortnight, students attend meetings, discussing and advocating the collective student voice.
This project started up when students voiced (through the school survey), that their ideas and opinions were not always heard and that the school was looking outdated. The Beautification Project is heavily driven by the Student Representative Council (SRC) who represent the voice of NPS students. Their aim is to raise much needed funds to repair and beautify our school.
This has included:
- Recycling cages
- Emu Parades
- Fresh paint around the school
- Solar panels
- Democracy Sizzle
- Running club
- Sensory walk in Transition
- New bench seats around the Quadrangle
- Cross Country event
- School Fete (Chief Minister attending)
- Repair and repainting of stairs
- Repair and repainting of handrails
- Fresh paint in the classrooms
- Mother’s Day Breakfast
- New toilets in the process after many letters to School Council and advocacy from students, staff and families